Friday, April 16, 2010

Thrifted Thread for Crochet Earrings

(originally posted at Wardrobe Refashion)

In the last few months I have picked up bags of various thread, buttons, beads, ribbon, zippers.... and more from thrift stores. I spent about $6 on this last bunch of embroidery threads and stuff. (When I was at Michael's the other day I noticed the same threads for something like $1.25 a piece.) I must have gotten about 22 skeins of the ones I'm using to crochet with, so I think my purchase at the thrift store was worth it. I wasn't sure what I was going to use them for initially because I don't embroider very much, but I knew I had to change up my fused glass jewelry because I haven't been selling much of it. I had been toying with the idea of adding something like crochet to them and last week I took a look at some of the threads I purchased and thought I could use them like yarn. I have some plain white thread in a large roll, and bought some Kool-Aid with the intention of trying to dye the thread/yarn to use. The thrifted thread was already in beautiful colors, so when I was successful at making some small items, I sketched out some ideas to embellish my fused glass jewelry. I'm excited about the results and if these don't sell, I will wear them! (I still may try dying the thread, so I get a variegated coloration.)

I'm having fun crocheting at night when we're watching television. I like to do something productive when I'm rotting my brain on TV. The last photo shows a nearly finished pair using some cool buttons from a collection that was given to my by my uncle.

Thanks for looking. Next I'll post a goofy pair of bloomers I made from a kitchen towel, thrifted ribbon and a colorful crochet flower from leftover yarn.

-Tamara

DSCN4098 DSCN4097DSCN2335
DSCN2330
DSCN2333
DSCN2328DSCN2331DSCN2327

No comments: