Friday, August 29, 2008

Dr. Visit

Clayton went for his 6 month checkup on Monday although he was about 7 months old. He got behind with shots because of our move from Maryland. Anyway, he's 16.5 pounds and 28 inches long. I was a little surprised when the doctor said that feeding him solids is fine, but his primary nutrition should be breastmilk or formula. He said the baby food has little nutrition and especially not the rice cereal. He should have 8oz. 6 times a day. That seems like a lot. Then, I was on somebody's website that said if the food is eliminated looking the same way it went in, it really isn't being digested. I still don't know if that's the truth, but I am breastfeeding him more and yesterday, didn't even give him solids. I found this article http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496 that gives some good information. #10 under RECOMMENDATIONS ON BREASTFEEDING FOR HEALTHY TERM INFANTS is what I'm trying to understand. I guess I will still give him a bit of solid food, but try to make it myself to make sure it doesn't have fillers and has a lot of nutrition. This article sure makes store bought baby food, sound pretty worthless: http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html.

No comments: